Camp Fire was organized in 1910 as Camp Fire Girls, Inc. Big River council of Camp Fire, Inc., was officially chartered in Baton Rouge in 1939, although there were groups here as early as 1912. Membership is open to youth from kindergarten to grade 12, regardless of race, creed, religion, national origin or sex. A multi-program service agency, Camp Fire offers informal education and provides opportunities for youth to realize their potential and to function effectively as caring, self-directed individuals responsible to themselves and others. It allows individual development and preservation of spiritual and ethical values, as well as the realization of dignity and self worth. Responsible citizenship is practiced along with the wise use of human and natural resources. In 1975, Camp Fire became a coed organization, allowing different makeup of clubs. In 2001, the national organization changed its name to Camp Fire USA with a primary purpose to include all youth in its programs, regardless of diversity. Big River Council is one of more than 125 councils nationwide, which provides services to over one-half million youth annually. It currently serves 14 parishes: Ascension, Assumption, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Iberia, Iberville, Livingston, Point Coupee, St. Helena, St. James, St. Martin, St. Mary, West Baton Rouge and West Feliciana. The organization receives funding from the Capital Area United Way, United Way for South Louisiana, as well as grants from area foundations, including the Governorís Drug-Free Schools and Communities Program, the Louisiana Childrenís Trust Fund, Exxon, the Pennington Foundation and Winn-Dixie, Inc. In addition, the Council receives donations and generates funds through programs and service fees.