COMPETITIVE, INTERACTIVE, PROBLEM-SOLVING, GAMES, FIELD TRIPS
Brain Bowl Challenge
Homework Central’s Summer Program is fun, exciting, competition based, game centered learning and an academic program. Students are given an initial diagnostic to determine areas of strengths and weaknesses, and are placed into teams of heterogeneous groups based on ability and age. In addition the instruction provided by highly qualified instructors, teams get to work together so they can build teamwork. At the end of the summer, students participate in “The Brain Bowl Challenge”, a gathering of the minds where teams compete against each other to see the official Homework Central Brain Bowl Challenge Champion!
Students rotate through four centers, reading, writing, math and science. A balanced and differentiated program with fun and academic activities, supported by fun-loving, certified teachers.
READING – Focuses on key strategies of successful readers such as…
• Identifying key ideas and details in books, articles and stories
• Using the craft and structure of text to identify key concepts
• Phonics and Word Recognition
• Activities geared towards improving Fluency and Comprehension of text.
WRITING – Emphases topic focus writing centered on…
• Topics that are of interest to the kids
• Organization with emphasis on Introduction, body and conclusion and incorporating student’s unique voice and style.
• Sentence structure
MATH – Focuses on key skills necessary to master the basic concepts of the new Common Core Standards, including:
• Mastering the area of multiplication and division with an emphasis on fact fluency (multiplication tables)
• Understanding, Identifying and Relating Fractions to real life concepts.
• Solving equations and expressions using mathematical strategies
• Word Problems – Applying the above concepts to real world problem solving