This internationally acclaimed program is for students currently in grades 9 & 12 who are seriously considering a career in music. Our highly individualized program emphasizes solo performance (all orchestral instruments, piano, organ, voice, classical guitar, or composition). This program is for mature students of advanced performance levels who can work well in a focused collegiate type environment. It is important that students possess high level musical skills, good organizational skills and mature personal skills.
The program includes:
- Two private lessons per week
- Weekly solo performance in a repertory class
- Career seminar including individual career interviews and professional musician guest speakers
- Three levels of theory and two levels of ear training
- A choice of: History of Western Music, World Music, or Analysis of Western Music
- Small ensembles for all winds, brass, strings and percussion
- Accompanying class for pianists
Plus two creative components:
- Composition for non-majors
Final solo performance and chamber music concerts are held in acoustically magnificent Kilbourn Hall and the new Hatch Recital Hall. Performances will be recorded, and each student will have online access to a recording.