Founded in 1950, Oakland School & Camp serves boys and girls ages 7-14 with dyslexia, reading problems or other learning difficulties. Oakland School's summer program provides six weeks of intensive academic instruction along with traditional camp activities. The program is designed to boost the basic skills of students by focusing on reading and study skills instruction. Students who have been unsuccessful academically gain confidence and increase their achievement levels. For many children, the summer session serves as a fun introduction to becoming a year-round student at Oakland.
Every weekday is divided into six fifty-minute periods -- four periods of academic courses and two periods of recreational instruction. An old-fashioned school bell signals the beginning and end of each period. The day is carefully divided so that each child has a healthy mix of intellectual stimulation and energetic fun. Oakland's unique program is based on "The Oakland Way" which includes the following elements:
1) a TRADITIONAL program focused on reading through phonetic learning;
2) INDIVIDUALIZED attention through small group and 1-to-1 instruction;
3) a STRUCTURED, success-oriented environment;
4) a CHALLENGING program which enables each student to learn at his or her own pace; and
5) a NURTURING environment designed to build self-esteem and enable all children to realize remarkable success.
The academic program at Oakland is specifically designed to deal with a variety of learning difficulties. The program includes:
1) Small classes: a student teacher ratio of 4.5 to 1;
2) Ungraded classes based on skill level;
3) At least one half hour of 1-to-1 instruction per day;
4) Writing on PCs once students have reached a certain level of proficiency; and
5) Intensive remedial instruction in reading.
Two periods each day are devoted to recreational instruction in a variety of areas including swimming, horseback riding, archery, tennis, golf, arts and crafts, nature and team sports. Oakland has a strong riding program offered at no additional cost. Riding instruction is of top quality and a horse show is one of the highlights of the summer session. All students receive certified instruction in swimming. Additionally, the expansive grounds provide ample opportunities for recreational activities including hiking, fishing, team sports and supervised camping under the stars.
Oakland School & Camp is a very special place where remarkable learning occurs. We invite you to learn more about this special place.