The construction of our brand new tall ship SSV Oliver Hazard Perry will be complete this winter and we are proud to begin our programs aboard in 2015. At 200 feet and with 15 professional crew plus a capacity for 32 students each session, SSV Oliver Hazard Perry is the first ocean-going, full-rigged ship to be built in the U.S. in 110 years and the largest civilian Sailing School Vessel in America
In addition to witnessing the natural magic of the ocean and its inhabitants, each student crew will make friendships to last a lifetime. They'll take responsibility for themselves and their fellow shipmates, learning to work as a team as they hoist and brace the yards on the ship's 130-foot tall rig and stand watch at the helm to guide the ship's course on a voyage of discovery.
Camp price for one week program is $1,600 and our two week programs are $3,000; which includes all meals and seamanship/sailing instruction with a ratio of staff to students of 1:4.
Availability is on a first-come, first-serve basis. For more information on our Education-at-Sea programs call or email us. You can also visit Facebook/ohpri and start your adventure at sea! For more information on our policies and payment plans visit us at ohpri.org
A Sampling of Life-At-Sea Aboard Oliver Hazard Perry
- Feel the thrill of steering a 500-ton ship
- Work the yards and sails on your voyage along the New England coastline
- Learn safety at sea and perform important safety drills
- Stand "watch" and speak the language of the ship
- Sail throughout the night (weather and circumstances permitting)
- Acquire skills in navigation, seamanship, sail handling, knot tying, splicing, and more
- Work safely aloft
- Find significance in maritime history and literature
- Discover creatures hidden in the ocean, from microscopic plankton collected in a tow to gigantic whales breaching off the bow
- Understand wind, waves, tides and the ecology of sandy and rocky seashores
- Experience sunsets, sunrises and the night sky as you've never seen them before and natural wonders such as marine phosphorescence and dolphins at play