The Broadway Experience is an international musical theatre program designed to create and inspire triple threat performers. Students undergo an intense, disciplined study of dance, voice, and acting with current Broadway professionals and incredible master teachers. Students become stronger, versatile, and more dynamic performers, preparing themselves for a professional career at the highest level.
LEVEL ONE & LEVEL TWO: This two week intensive offers over 60 classes, workshops, and lectures in dance, voice, and acting. Week two shifts the focus to stage performance taking students through an intense rehearsal process leading up to a major performing opportunity. Level one is advanced beginner, usually for ages 11-14 and level two is intermediate/advanced usually for ages 15-18. Both age and experience will be taken into consideration regarding placement.
PRO LEVEL: Our week long Pro Level is for college age students and emerging young professionals who want to continue their advanced/professional triple threat training whilst making valuable connections for the future. Throughout the week all Pro Level students will work on choreography, songs, and scenes with directors, choreographers, and musical directors currently working in the professional industry. There will be lectures and seminars from casting offices and management companies and the program will culminate in a filmed showcase. High quality reels are now an essential tool in marketing the young professional; each student will receive their very own copy.
- Beginning everyday with a technical dance class.
- Master classes in various Broadway dance styles, covering repertoire from the golden age of musical theater up to present day choreography.
- Dance and Song classes.
- Voice/choral work.
- Song Interpretation class.
- Acting technique classes.
- Monologue work and scene study.
- Take the first step to actually putting all three mediums together, dance, sing and act, hence learning to become what’s known as a “triple threat.”
- Choreography workshop.
- In-depth musical workshop.
- Lecture demonstrations on aspects of the business, practical and non-practical including wellness/nutrition and injury prevention.
- Meet industry specialists such as choreographers, directors and casting directors.
- Audition study helping one understand the audition process and how to present oneself.
- Experience a real audition, in front of a panel of industry specialists.
- See Broadway show(s)
- Q&A with a Broadway cast following performances.
- A major performance opportunity at the end of week two. (Level One & Two only.)
- A recorded HD showcase. (Pro Level only.)
- Lunch is catered every day.
- Receive your very own TBE T-shirt!
TBE summer 2014 faculty included Ben Hartley (The Little Mermaid), Mami Tomotani (Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake), Michael Mindlin (Aladdin), Bahiyah Hibah (After Midnight), Kristyn Pope (White Christmas), Enrique Brown (Fiddler on the Roof), Nick Kenkel (Evita), Olga Karmansky (Pippin), Alan Souza (Saturday Night Fever), Carman Lacivita (Cyrano), JT Eagan (Casa Valentina), Steven Malone (Newsies), Dierdre Friel (Leap of Faith), Julian Reeve (Bring It On), Greg Landes (Grinch), Harold Lewter (CLA), Tony Cloer (BRE), & Benton Whitley (Duncan Stewart & Co.) Special guests have included: Chita Rivera, Bebe Neuwirth, Kristin Chenoweth, Faith Prince, Baayork Lee, Sierra Boggess, Norm Lewis, Karen Ziemba, & Jonathan Groff.
A completed application includes:
- Completed online application form.
- Audition recording (see below)
Headshot or high quality recent photo.
- A non-refundable application fee of $25.00
WHAT TO DO
Once you have completed your online application form and paid your $25 application fee via our website, please email your headshot and a link to your audition recording.
We are now accepting recorded auditions for summer 2015 enrollment. Audition recordings can be uploaded to any video hosting website like youtube or vimeo for example. Please email us a URL link of your recorded audition and include:
- A dance combination or individual exercises showing line, jumps, and turns. You may also submit a performance or routine if it meets these requirements.
- 32 to 64 bars of a musical theatre song of your choice.
- Monologues or readings will NOT be required.
Audition recordings should not exceed ten minutes in length and may be recorded and uploaded straight from a camera phone or any recording device.
The Broadway Experience is associated with Broadway Dance Center; New York City's ultimate destination for dance.