Session 1: July 1 – 12
Session 2: July 29 – August 9
The URI Transportation Center hosts two two-week sessions of the Summer Transportation Institute for seventh, eighth and ninth grade students.
The curriculum exposes students to highway and bridge design, construction and maintenance of roads, transportation of people and cargo, laws, regulations, safety and career opportunities. In addition, students participate in computer training, academic enhancement activities, field trips and student projects.
The session will take place from 8:30 am – 4:00 pm each day. Transportation to and from a central pick-up point in Providence is available. Activities are supervised by the program director, program coordinator, interns and industry professionals.
Up to 20 students will receive full scholarships to participate in the program. Scholarships include:
- Facility Usage
- Equipment and Supplies
- Field Trip Expenses
- Currently in 7th, 8th, or 9th grade for the upcoming school year
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- An interest in engineering, science, transportation, or a technology related career
- Written essay and transcript or copy of report card
- A brief interview with the program director
For more information, contact Tory Perrotta.