Camps Forum

Camp Forum: For Campers/Parents: Camp Life Stories:
Summer camp romance

patdewees
New User

Dec 9, 2016, 8:11 AM

Post #1 of 2 (101119 views)

Summer camp romance Quote | Reply

I was a sixteen year old boy at camp one summer for a one-week co-ed session. I think it happened in the middle of the week. At any rate, I was at an assembly in a structure called the Round Chapel minding my own business and out of nowhere this very pretty girl asked me to sit by her. Some of the words to describe how this made me feel begin with 'e': ecstatic, excited, exhilarated, and euphoric. To say that I was flattered out of my mind would be an understatement. I had seen this girl from time to time. Let's say her name was Polly

There was to be a dance party held on the last night of camp. Several boys talked about who they wanted to be their date to that dance. I naturally asked Polly to be my date. She said yes! This would be my first date ever!

There were rumors that Polly had another date to the dance. I addressed this issue with her. Polly said she would be my date but she also wanted to dance with other guys. I consented.

When the evening came for the dance, I saw Polly was walking to it with her friends. Only she wasn't exactly walking. Polly had hurt her ankle. It was as though the gods of luck were conspiring against me to prevent her from dancing with me. She did dance with me some at the event until it got too painful for her. Her friend, Lucy, was willing to substitute for Polly and danced with me to one song even though Lucy seemed to be in love with another boy. Lucy probably wanted me to have someone to dance with.

The next morning when it was time for us to all go home, Polly was in our hut. Polly offered her mailing address and, of course, I accepted it. She was from a very small town about 90 miles from where I lived. This could be problematic. Polly gave me a hug before we parted. When I got in my mother's car and we were just pulling out of camp, I saw Polly in the window. She waved at me and I waved back hoping that my mother wouldn't notice. Something else I hoped she would not notice was that I was in a daze the whole way home and even in the fast food joint we stopped at on the way. It was the kind of daze that comes from being smitten by love. In retrospect I would have loved to have told my mother "I met a cute girl at camp." But I was too embarrassed to talk about it to her. I understand that it is normal for teenagers to not want to talk to their parents about their romantic relationships. I wasn't even looking for a girlfriend at camp. I was concentrating on trying to enjoy the activities to the fullest. Perhaps I found romance BECAUSE I was not looking for it.

I had Polly's address but never wrote her a letter. I'm not sure why. Nonetheless, I will never forget how I felt that week.

The names of the girls have been changed to protect the innocent and the guilty.

(This post was edited by patdewees on Feb 3, 2017, 3:02 AM)

EmyJ
Novice

Jun 21, 2017, 2:51 AM

Post #2 of 2 (87156 views)

Re: [patdewees] Summer camp romance [In reply to] Quote | Reply

That was interesting life experience. Please write a letter.

(This post was edited by EmyJ on Jun 21, 2017, 2:52 AM)

• MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands
  • |
  • 909 Sepulveda Blvd. - El Segundo, 90245
  • |
  • Fax: 310-280-4921
  • |
  • Toll-Free: 877-777-7738
© 2003-. MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: