Camps Forum

Camp Forum: For Campers/Parents: Parent Corner:
Autism Camp

sasmith
New User

Apr 17, 2008, 9:53 AM

Post #1 of 3 (116035 views)

Autism Camp Quote | Reply

There is a new Autism Camp opening this year. Check out www.autismsummerartscamp.net

Some of the amazing therapy programs are now listed and we are now accepting applications. Some of these therapies have been found to reverse some of the Autism symptoms.

See you there

(This post was edited by sasmith on Apr 24, 2008, 7:29 AM)

clubJWP
New User

Jul 4, 2008, 8:18 AM

Post #2 of 3 (115487 views)

Re: [sasmith] Autism Camp [In reply to] Quote | Reply

According to US law, if your school-aged child is likely to lose skills as a result of the summer break, he/she is entitled to services called ESY or "Extended School Year." The problem with Extended School Year is that, at least here in Pennsylvania, it is implemented differently by different school districts. In one district, parents can select a typical camp program and then have the district provide a 1:1 aide. In the next district over, there's a summer school for kids on the autism spectrum -- take it or leave it.

According ABOARD, the Advisory Board on Autism and Related Disorders, however, your child has the right to attend ANY camp under the Americans with Disabilities law. According to a long and informative article on their website, "The same requirements that apply to child-care centers apply to recreation programs and camps since they are also considered "public accommodations." What's more, they say, "The ADA applies to children who are on medication, are not toilet trained, have life-threatening allergies, diabetes or other disabilities. These factors cannot be reasons for excluding anyone."

JWP

Rosa-Brown
New User

May 2, 2019, 10:16 PM

Post #3 of 3 (7978 views)

Re: [sasmith] Autism Camp [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Can you provide more information about the autism summer camp? AS my elder sister-sons is suffering from autism.

• MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands
  • |
  • 909 Sepulveda Blvd. - El Segundo, 90245
  • |
  • Fax: 310-280-4921
  • |
  • Toll-Free: 877-777-7738
© 2003-. MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: