Camps Forum

Camp Forum: For Camp Directors: Research and Learn:
How to Ensure that your Site is Found by Search Engines

hagai2
CTO

Jan 9, 2006, 9:37 AM

Post #1 of 1 (31719 views)

How to Ensure that your Site is Found by Search Engines Can't Post

In my last article How to Increase your Search Engine Rankings , I wrote about several techniques to help increase the rankings of your site on the major search engines.

An unranked website faces the obstacle of increasing search engine position because it is unrecognized. There are many do's and don'ts to search engine optimization (SEO) and the following will hopefully explain how search engines ‘look' at sites and how to ensure that a site is found:

1. Search engines use ‘robots' AKA ‘bots' or ‘spiders' to read the content on sites and store all this information in their database
  2. Not only is the index page read but the sub pages as well
  3. Websites must give the search engine relevant content and keywords, AKA ‘spider food', so that it stores this content in its databases. For example; a tennis camp should include a paragraph of text explaining its services by using the words:
    • tennis
    • summer camp
    • professional sports
    • and all other keywords that it wishes to be found under

I recommend two to three instances of keywords in this paragraph.

Dynamic Vs. Static Pages

Next, spiders can only follow static pages. These are pages with an .html or an .htm extension.
If a website uses dynamic content: cgi, php, asp, cfm, or any other scripting language – it means that the search engine spiders will not see the content of these pages. Well, that's not entirely true. Static pages are given preferential treatment when indexing your site. It is much easier to get a static html page indexed on search engines than a dynamic one.

Links

It is important to have links from the homepage to the content on these dynamic pages in a static form. Javascript, while providing useful features to make a site look ‘cool', may harm a website's chances of ranking high on search engines.

Make sure that links are static and not a Javascript link; spiders cannot follow Javascript links. Also, do not include Javascript in the html file; link to a separate .js file to improve your search engine rankings. Javascript is still permissible on a site, just be smart about it.

Some relevant information about search engines:

1. Search engine spiders have an algorithm to gauge relevance of pages and links.
  2. Links from the homepage of websites are viewed as more relevant than a link from a subpage.
  3. It is important to link to content pages from the homepage.
  4. The location of the links is also relevant; links that run across the top (header) of websites are weighed as more important then links at the bottom (footer) of the site.

Sitemap

One way to make sure all content pages are being indexed by search engine spiders is to use a sitemap. Sitemap is the term given to a web page that links to every web page on the site; link to the sitemap from the footer of your home page.

Search Engine Submitting

Lastly, a site is not going to be found by itself; it must be submitted to search engines for indexing. The major search engines like Google, Yahoo, and MSN, are often the first to be considered, but the smaller search engines can be very helpful —
  • Ask Jeeves
  • Lycos
  • Excite
  • AltaVista
  • and many more . . .

The DMOZ directory is an important search engine for submission, even though it's not widely used or known. DMOZ is the Open Directory Project which is the largest, most comprehensive human-edited directory of the Web. In fact, Google, Yahoo, MSN, and most other search engines use DMOZ to populate their database. This means that if you a site is accepted by DMOZ, chances are that most of the search engines will index it, too.

Websites will reap the rewards of organic search engine results when they follow the above guidelines. Accomplishments will not happen overnight; getting indexed on search engines takes time.

I am confident these tips will help your website gain recognition through many search engines.

---------------------------------------------------

Hagai Maidenberg
CTO

MySummerCamps.com - There's a Great Camp Out There!
570 Eglinton Avenue West, Suite 303
Toronto, ON M5N 1B7 Canada
Phone: 416-544-9925
Fax: 416-850-9908

A Division of Target Directories Corporation

(This post was edited by hagai2 on Jan 17, 2006, 7:09 AM)

• MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands
  • |
  • 909 Sepulveda Blvd. - El Segundo, 90245
  • |
  • Fax: 310-280-4921
  • |
  • Toll-Free: 877-777-7738
© 2003-. MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: