Camps Forum

Camp Forum: For Camp Directors: Research and Learn:
Summer Camp Anticipation

stephenwinbaum
Communications Coordinator / Moderator

Jun 3, 2008, 10:04 AM

Post #1 of 1 (17964 views)

Summer Camp Anticipation Can't Post

Let's see . . . summer camp is 17 days, 8 hours, 27 minutes, and 14 seconds away. No, make that . . . 17 days, 8 hours, 27 minutes, and 13 seconds away.

Oh, I get it the anticipation is growing, second by second. It's more awe-inspiring than the latest Space Shuttle blast-off at Cape Canaveral.

Let's face it, it is June and university students are looking forward to becoming camp counselors; school kids can't wait to jam into cabins and experience an endless variety of outdoor (indoor) experiences.

Let's not forget all those parents who want to see their children have a well-earned summer freedom from the rigors of school.

But there's been bad news. It's called statistics. Reports that summer camp attendance will be down as families struggle with high fuel prices and rising food costs. Could this be the end of summer camp, the year the countdown stopped?

A note of optimism from the venerable American Camp Association:

"The last dollar a parent will cut is the dollar they spend on their kids," assured Peg Smith, the ACA CEO in a USA Today article: Summer camp enrollment steady, but not as fast - posted in late May. Whew! It's great to hear a note of optimism from the can-do folks from Martinsville, IN.

I guess that means the countdown can continue and the anticipation can continue to grow.

So that makes it 17 days, 8 hours, 27 minutes, and 12 seconds away.

When will summer camp finally be HERE?

Stephen Winbaum is the Communications Coordinator of MySummerCamps.com.

---

(This post was edited by stephenwinbaum on Jun 5, 2008, 7:23 AM)

• MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands
  • |
  • 909 Sepulveda Blvd. - El Segundo, 90245
  • |
  • Fax: 310-280-4921
  • |
  • Toll-Free: 877-777-7738
© 2003-. MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: