Camps Forum

Camp Forum: For Camp Directors: Research and Learn:
Update on Music and Motion Picture Licensing in Camps



Mar 11, 2005, 7:23 AM

Post #1 of 1 (73956 views)

Update on Music and Motion Picture Licensing in Camps Can't Post

As the camp season approaches, please be reminded that specific music and motion picture licensing requirements may affect your camp. The importance of staying informed about licensing requirements is highly recommended by the American Camping Association (ACA). To relieve ACA-accredited camps from the responsibility of paying high licensing fees for group singing, instructional music, and videocassette exhibition at camp, ACA has made the following arrangements with the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP) and the Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (MPLC):

Music Licensing

ACA and ASCAP have continued their agreement that allows ACA-accredited camps to use ASCAP licensed music without paying any licensing fees. Under the five-year agreement, ACA will pay ASCAP one dollar per camp per year for all ASCAP licensed music. ACA-accredited camps are automatically included in the agreement with ASCAP. Currently, ACA represents more than 2,300 summer camps nationwide.

For specific questions concerning which music and lyrics fall under ASCAP licensing, contact Mary Ellen Hayes, ASCAP representative, at 800-505-4052, ext. 3423.

Public Performance License

A public performance license is required to show videos at your camp. MPLC provides this license with a discount for American Camping Association (ACA) members. If you are already an MPLC license holder, you need not re-apply. Your license is automatically renewed at your guaranteed low rate.

The Federal Copyright Act, Public Law 94-553, Title 17 of the United States Code, states that all home videocassette exhibitions outside one’s personal residence are "public performances" and mandates they be licensed. Noncompliance can subject those who infringe to statutory damages starting at $750 per exhibition. This legal requirement applies equally to for-profit and nonprofit facilities, whether or not an admission is charged. MPLC, the authorized licensing representative for Hollywood studios and producers, provides the license that is required to comply with federal law. It also allows those who rent your facility to be covered for video use, protecting your property from inadvertent copyright liability.

MPLC Licensing Fees
If you currently show video cassettes or plan to this season, complete the MPLC licensing application online at and return it with the appropriate payment (see the MPLC Licensing Fees table). Your Certificate of License will be sent by the U.S. mail.

Originally published in the 2004 Spring issue of The CampLine.

Reproduced with permission from the American Camp Association.
American Camp Association
5000 State Road 67 North
Martinsville, IN 46151-7902
Map to ACA
Phone: 765-342-8456
Fax: 765-342-2065


  • MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands
  • |
  • 909 Sepulveda Blvd. - El Segundo, 90245
  • |
  • Fax: 310-280-4921
  • |
  • Toll-Free: 877-777-7738
© 2003-. MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: