|Job Title:||Activity Specialist|
|Job Location:||Greenwich & Hartford, Connecticut|
|Number of Openings:||8|
An Activity Specialist is responsible for the supervision of campers, the implementation of camp curriculum, promoting and actively participating in all camp activities, providing a safe and fun learning environment, and serving as a positive role model for campers and counselors.
We are seeking motivated team members who believe deeply in the organization’s mission and who display a record of achievement in effective supervision & management of youth, building positive relationships and ensuring the safety and well-being of people of all ages.
Position Scope Factors:
Activity Specialists are employed in the following camps;
· Day Camp: 4 – 8 year olds (Dream Camp: 6 – 9 year olds - Trinity College & Girard College locations only)
o World Tour: Campers discover various cultures, traditions, languages, geography, music, dance, festivals, outdoor games, folklore and more!
o Project Discovery: Campers become scientists and environmental stewards through scientific investigations and outdoor explorations.
o Creative & Performing Arts: Campers will make music, dance their hearts out and create tribe cheers while learning improvisation techniques, telling stories, playing charades, singing karaoke and performing skits. You’ll also help them prepare for our two Day Camp shows.
o Special Events: Campers participate in theme-related games and activities, obstacle courses, relays, and more during this exciting team building time.
o Sports: Campers build sportsmanship and teamwork while learning the fundamentals of soccer, street hockey, basketball, baseball, flag football, tee-ball, track and field, wiffle ball and more. Campers also enjoy weekly recreational games and age appropriate, athletic tournaments.
o Keepsake Crafts: features hands-on, keepsake craft projects
o Fine Arts: introduces campers to the various genres and media of famous artists.
o Reading (Dream Camp only): Each day, Dream Campers dive into the wonderful world of words as they engaged in books by renowned children’s authors through our literacy curriculum. Our reading program reached children at all different levels by incorporating weekly themed short stories to challenge our campers with vocabulary and reading comprehension.
o Dance (Girard College only): Through different forms, techniques, and styles, camper’s fine tune their skills and create a team dance to be performed at the end of the summer show.
· Senior Camp: 9 – 15 year olds (Dream Camp: 10 – 16 year olds (Trinity College & Girard College locations only))
o Quest: Campers learn about group dynamics, gain valuable communication and problem solving skills, and develop a better understanding of leadership fundamentals in this unique program.
o Eco-Venture: Eco-Venture exposes campers to the worlds of science, nature and environmental stewardship.
o Sports: Instruction, game play and fun! Get energized while playing soccer, street hockey, basketball, baseball, lacrosse, flag football, and ultimate frisbee. Campers also enjoy weekly recreational games and age appropriate, athletic tournaments.
o Art: Campers explore a variety of artistic techniques and create masterpieces with oil and acrylic paints, wax, dye and more. Projects include candlemaking, tie dying, printmaking, fashion designing and cartooning.
o Conflict Resolution: (Trinity and Girard only) Lessons encourage campers to consider and define their values in a variety of situations, which should help to provide the foundation of pre-deciding their reaction to challenging situations.
o Music Production (Girard College only): Campers of all ages communicate and express themselves through the creation of lyrics and song while understanding different tempos, beats, and genres. The ability to learn, play and incorporate different instruments adds to the experience
o Chess (Girard College only): Campers are taught the basics at the beginning of the summer and challenge different tribe members daily. At the end of the summer a two week tournament takes place where one student will hold the title of champion until the following summer.
o Reading (Girard College only): Each day, Dream Campers dive into the wonderful world of words as they engaged in books by renowned children’s authors through our literacy curriculum. Our reading program reached children at all different levels by incorporating weekly themed short stories to challenge our campers with vocabulary and reading comprehension.
o Yoga (Girard College only): Yoga allows for campers to grow in different techniques such as stretching, deep breathing, meditation, as well as journaling.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Group supervision of campers with attention to: behavior and group management, health and safety, security, and personal and skill development
- Organize and prepare daily lesson plans in a fun and creative manner
- Implement ESF curriculum; bring lesson plans to life for campers through your participation, support and guidance
- Motivate campers by creating fun for them in your activity (i.e. - songs, games, cheers, etc.)
- Encourage creativity and critical thinking while making a positive impact on each of your campers
- Use effective classroom management skills to lead the activity and effectively create an inclusive, fun environment.
- Promote and actively participate in all camper activities
- Work effectively with fellow Activity Specialist and collaborate on daily responsibilities
- Complete assigned paperwork
- Serve as a positive role model to campers
- Follow the ESF Code and maintain the ESF Look at all times
- Employee is expected to exhibit ESF Core Values at all times and to adhere to all company policies
- Have fun
14. Other responsibilities as assigned
Position Competencies for Success
1. Understand and support the mission of the organization
- Commitment to the growth and development of youth
3. The ability to work effectively with others in all levels of the organization in a professional manner
- Commitment to producing consistent, high-quality work
- Excellent judgment, ability to identify problems and works quickly to find solutions
6. Positive attitude
- Patient, caring and creative
- Flexible, adaptive and a Team player